Exclusive Author Q&A and Character Q&A Post – Demand by Lisa Renee Jones
Series: Careless Whispers #2
Author: Lisa Renee Jones
Release Date: May 31, 2016
The sexy, breathtaking mystery continues in New York Times and USA TODAY bestselling author Lisa Renee Jones’s stunning second novel in the suspenseful Careless Whispers series–where shocking revelations will reveal themselves and nothing, and no one, will ever be the same.
Still struggling with amnesia, Ella questions everything she’s known about Kayden Wilkens–the alluring stranger who claims to have found her unconscious in an alleyway. But was he truly a stranger–or did Kayden know her before his supposed rescue? Tormented by the potential betrayal he denies, with fleeting memories of a bombshell in her recent past, Ella must face a hard reality. Every action has consequences . . . and trusting Kayden, the one thing she most desires, might result in the direst consequences of all.
Author Q&A with Lisa Renee Jones
- What inspired you to write your first book?
- I’ve always needed a creative outlet. There is constantly so much going on in my brain. Originally, that outlet was going to be acting, but it eventually landed on writing
- For your own reading pleasure, do you prefer eBooks or paperbacks?
- Audiobooks actually. The rare times I have time to enjoy leisure reading is when I’m excising daily so audiobooks are so helpful because there’s no way I could jog and read at the same time. I’d fall flat on my face… repeatedly. I do enjoy both paperbacks and ebooks at certain times too. Paperbacks are for when I revisit my old time favorites when I need inspiration. Ebooks when I’m reading a newer book.
- Do you have a favorite book?
- Not A favorite book, but I do have favorites. I know your typical, diplomatic answer, but I could never just choose one. There are too many talented authors. I’ll give you a few of my favorite authors though: Lora Leigh, Christine Feehan, Lori Foster, and Sherrilyn Kenyon
- Are your books inspired by real life?
- Not in general. My books are far too exciting to come from my real life, but there are tidbits, like character habits, that I draw from real life. Also, Sara’s reaction in Inside Out when they visit the Swinger’s Club, that was 100% my reaction. When hubs and I went to Paris for research for Revealing Us I knew I was going to write about it, but I knew I had to experience it for myself because I’ve never been to anything of the sort. I can tell you the shock in that scene that you experience from Sara is wholly me.
- What books will we be seeing from you soon?
- A lot! I’ve got DEMAND out on 5/31, that’s book two in my Careless Whispers series. Then in August I have book one (HARD RULES) in my brand new series, Dirty Money out. Then I’m trying to sneak in another Walker Security book in late 2016, but it may get pushed a bit. From there SURRENDER (Careless Whispers book three) is out in January, I believe, that date is still being set in stone. And then in February 2017 book two in my Dirty Money series is out. Plus I may be working on a secret project. It won’t be out for a while, most likely, but it something I am REALLY exciting about writing!
- Do you read reviews of your books? If so, how do you react to the good and the bad?
- I do read them. The good reviews obviously warm my soul and remind me that I have the BEST readers in the world. The bad can do one of two things: 1) Make me upset for a hot minute to where I try to argue at my computer screen or think I should look into another profession (they can be harsh!). I get over that quickly though. 2) Make me learn and appreciate the constructive criticism. I love when a reviewer, even if they didn’t like my book, offers that. I think it helps me as an author because it can open my eyes to a writing quirk I have or another view of things.
- Is there anything you find challenging about writing?
- The sex scenes! Ironic since I’m a romance author, but I don’t write sex scenes to just write sex into my books. So it’s really dependent on the characters and where they are in the story. I kid you not, my characters will be in the middle of something serious and decide it’s a good time for sex. I’m like no, no, guys you need to finish your conversation! But the sex, even though it is incredibly steamy and erotic at times, is always for a reason in the story. It’s about the characters connecting and marking something specific. But because it always has that added layer of importance it’s typically a pain for me to write and try to do justice to their love and connection.
- What does your writing process look like?
- Umm… outline, page one, throws computer, temper tantrum. That sounds about right :) No, in all honesty, I do write an outline because it helps me organize my thoughts, and then I just dive in. I always right from page one to the end, unless the scene is giving me all kinds of trouble and I know what’s going to happen and I just can’t voice it at the time. I’m not one of those authors that can write out of order, I wish I was though. That’s a talent. Then once I’m finished it goes to my three beta readers/editors, then to my publisher. If I’m going into book two or three, I refresh by re-reading the previous book and writing outlines for the timing/pace and descriptions of the setting so I remember.
- How can readers discover more about your work?
- My website is always a surefire way to get the most info: www.lisareneejones.com. But readers can also find me on Facebook and Twitter and ask questions and I love hearing from them!
Character Q&A with Ella Ferguson from the Careless Whispers series (this is written as of the second to last chapter of Denial to avoid spoilers)
- So we’re going to dive right in, what is the hardest part about having amnesia?
- *snorts* Well the obvious answer is not being able to remember anything. But I think more than that it’s the frustration that is constant. I WANT to remember everything, but I can’t. I’m used to being in control, I know that much about myself, so not being able to know WHO I am, what I like, and how I got here makes me feel
- Is there anything good that came out of your memory loss?
- Kayden. He’s a bossy asshole at times, but he saved me, and even though I don’t remember a lot right now, I do know that I am a very good and strong version of myself when I’m with him. Also, as much as it is a pain to not know what you like, I do get a thrill when I remember or experience my “favorite” something. Favorite coffee, favorite dessert, etc.
- Speaking of Kayden… let’s talk about that sexy man for a second. Throughout Denial you find yourself not willing to trust much of anyone… why did you decide to stay with Kayden?
- *sigh* Not to sound like a total girl, but he makes me feel safe. Don’t get me wrong, I can totally hold my own. Did you see the scene where I held a gun to his chest outside the church? But my world is mostly unknowns right now, but I know to trust my instincts and my instincts (and let’s face it, my body) say to trust Kayden right now. Because what red-blooded woman could honestly say no, when that man says: “I wanted more. Everything, Ella. Can I have it?” I sure as hell didn’t!
- Okay then! I think on that note, it’s time for a quick rapid fire round!
- *smirks* Don’t worry, as evident, he gets me hot and bothered too!
- Favorite hobby?
- Dancing or shooting at the gun range.
- Well that’s diverse. Best memory you CAN remember?
- *sad smile* Baking cookies with my mom. Or in more recent times: when Kayden showed me the dance studio he’s building me.
- Favorite dirty Kayden quote?
- SO many too choose from *laughs* Umm, I think I have two really vivid ones. 1) “I will tease you. Bite you. Spank you.” 2) “You became mine tonight. Mine to tease. Mine to please. Mine to fuck how I want.”
- *clears throat* Moving on! Favorite sweet Kayden quote?
- As alpha and demanding as he is you’d think these would be sparse, but he’s had quite a few sweet moments. *whispers* Don’t tell him I said that! Best one by far was: “I promise you, I fully intend to show you just how beautiful you are.”
- And lastly, what are you most looking forward to after you regain your full memory and the danger after you has been dealt with?
- I just hope those days come right now. I’m tired of looking over my shoulder constantly for HIM (who shall not, and cannot, be named). But what I’m most looking forward to is finding Sara and reconnecting, I may not remember all of my time with her, but I remember she is the closest friend I’ve ever had. And possibly more time with Kayden… though our future is as much of an unknown as my past right now.
- Something tells me he won’t give you up easily… I think a future may definitely be in the cards ;)
- *laughs* He is a bit possessive.
- Well thank you for answering my intrusive questions and I can’t wait to see what happens in DEMAND!
- Thank you for having me and I’m sure we’ll leave a few readers shocked with what goes down in book two. It was definitely an emotional rollercoaster for Kayden and I.
OTHER BOOKS IN THE SERIES
Although the Careless Whispers series is a continuation of Lisa’s Inside Out series, the books from Inside Out do not have to be read first. However, Denial, Demand and Surrender, must be read in order.
Book one, DENIAL, is available NOW!
Book three, SURRENDER, coming late 2016/early 2017
B&N and Audible coming soon
Prize (winner’s choice) **open internationally**
Signed copy of DENIAL, set of 3 Careless Whispers shot glasses, and a Denial coffee mug OR a $25 Amazon gift card
To enter, comment on this blog post and share this post on any of your social media accounts!!
About the Author
New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Lisa Renee Jones is the author of the highly acclaimed INSIDE OUT series, which is now in development for a television show to be produced by Suzanne Todd of Team Todd (Alice in Wonderland). Suzanne Todd on the INSIDE OUT series: Lisa has created a beautiful, complicated, and sensual world that is filled with intrigue and suspense. Sara’s character is strong, flawed, complex, and sexy – a modern girl we all can identify with. I’m thrilled to develop a television show that will tell Sara’s whole story – her life, her work, her friends, and her sexuality.
In addition to the success of Lisa’s INSIDE OUT series, she has published many successful titles. The TALL, DARK AND DEADLY series and THE SECRET LIFE OF AMY BENSEN series, both spent several months on a combination of the New York Times and USA Today bestselling lists. Lisa is presently working on a dark, edgy new series, Dirty Money, for St. Martin’s Press.
Prior to publishing Lisa owned multi-state staffing agency that was recognized many times by The Austin Business Journal and also praised by the Dallas Women’s Magazine. In 1998 Lisa was listed as the #7 growing women owned business in Entrepreneur Magazine.
Lisa loves to hear from her readers. You can reach her at www.lisareneejones.com and she is active on Twitter and Facebook daily.
Connect with Lisa Renee Jones